Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

raiding my own pantry

In the collection of Historic Northampton, there is an iron beartrap made by a local blacksmith. I've been wanting to incorporate this image into my upcoming show. My initial impulse was to have it interacting with an empty fur-collared coat (one of many that have been handed off to me- this one belonged to my maternal grandmother). I wanted to convey some menace, struggle, but... also ascension and near by-the-skin-of-one's teeth escape. I've animated the garment in a way that I feel relates somewhat to clumsy storefront displays (something's just not quite right- and one of the hands is missing a thumb...) and have it struggling to grasp a line of tied-together baby dresses (also of my family lineage) . I was planning to have the coat just barely ensnared, hanging just above a replica of the trap...
I couldn't figure out what this "ladder" (as in tied together sheets a damsel might fashion out of her bedding and either escape out the window or commit suicide by means of hanging herself with) is attached to/ leading to.
And then,
I decided to raid my own pantry- like a bear looking for honey, I put my fist in the hornet's nest.
Or something.
I haven't decided if the beartrap will actually interact directly with this element, or if this is its mirror.





and then there's this:
frank is all business all day every day

No comments:

Post a Comment