Wednesday, November 30, 2011

going rogue

mixed media with child's veil 

this is my studio junk drawer, more or less. if stuff gets in my way, if parts of things aren't working still somehow have merit.. they go here to rest awhile.
small collage with machine stitching  

Monday, November 28, 2011

works in progress

(felt and pins)

listening to the news while chewing my dinner may have left me with some partially undigestable ideas about the theater of war.
(bandage, wire, lace and felt)

Thursday, November 17, 2011


i'm making my first books ever... the images are from some of the sketches i was working on as i was making the chair come out of my brain. (above are some of the first drafts as they were on the wall of my studio)
the cover (it's sideways..but that's the thing about books- you can totally flip them around.)

 The pages are color copies backed with interfacing and bordered with shiny dark purple fabric. They're further layered with machine stitching with lavender and red thread. 

accidental thread line drawings between the pages.

*i'm making 7 of these as "prizes" from my kickstarter page, but i'll be making more for purchase. please email to contact me for specifics.

Friday, November 11, 2011

some assembly required

So, I just returned from 2 lovely weeks at Vermont Studio Center. I met some really awesome talented artists and writers, took some walks in fallow fields where I collected corn husks, roots and berries, smelled some horses..but mostly kept my nose to the grind trying to figure out some logistics for the chair. I wanted to make it more stream-lined for purposes of practical storage and set-up, but also I wanted to make the lines of the piece more complimentary to the lines of Rebecca's dance. I decided I needed to reinvestigate the form itself. It had become to grounded, too much pasted -on carnage. My goal was to make it  more fertile; a plant/ animal hybrid, an altar for a pagan tranformation ritual, a womb, a shelter with a spine...

I started by reworking the seat.

 It's cleaner with less chance of snagging the dancer's fabric (or the viewer's eye). The outer petal/rind forms lace-on to the underneath and can come off for storage.

I also reworked the outside of the petals, bringing in more fleshy filmy stuff, adding green veins and layering more textures. They also now have center ribs that extend and can be used as a latch/ hook over the lap at the beginning of the dance.

(yes, those are my dancing shoes)

The top-most part is completely detachable. It is installed with a hand-made pin and swivel so that it may be kicked down with the sweep of a leg. (forgive my unwillingness/ complete inability to photographically demonstrate this---)
But it really does work:

better photos coming soon to ye olde website and some mailboxes near you.