Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

some assembly required



So, I just returned from 2 lovely weeks at Vermont Studio Center. I met some really awesome talented artists and writers, took some walks in fallow fields where I collected corn husks, roots and berries, smelled some horses..but mostly kept my nose to the grind trying to figure out some logistics for the chair. I wanted to make it more stream-lined for purposes of practical storage and set-up, but also I wanted to make the lines of the piece more complimentary to the lines of Rebecca's dance. I decided I needed to reinvestigate the form itself. It had become to grounded, too much pasted -on carnage. My goal was to make it  more fertile; a plant/ animal hybrid, an altar for a pagan tranformation ritual, a womb, a shelter with a spine...

I started by reworking the seat.

 It's cleaner with less chance of snagging the dancer's fabric (or the viewer's eye). The outer petal/rind forms lace-on to the underneath and can come off for storage.


I also reworked the outside of the petals, bringing in more fleshy filmy stuff, adding green veins and layering more textures. They also now have center ribs that extend and can be used as a latch/ hook over the lap at the beginning of the dance.


(yes, those are my dancing shoes)

The top-most part is completely detachable. It is installed with a hand-made pin and swivel so that it may be kicked down with the sweep of a leg. (forgive my unwillingness/ complete inability to photographically demonstrate this---)
But it really does work:
(see?!)


better photos coming soon to ye olde website and some mailboxes near you.







1 comment:

  1. Ha! I was just thinking, “I like your dancing shoes,” when I scrolled down and read, “Yes, those are my dancing shoes.” I love the revisions, and wish I could see it with the performance someday...

    ReplyDelete